Ir al contenido principal

Interview with Ah'reek Marshall (Chili Peppers, Macy Gray..)

Thx to taki76 from RHCP forum:



http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=23169034&blogID=295716637


Taki76:
It seems like you've played with everyone in the industry when I think of all the people you've made music with.The RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS,MACY GRAY,GEORGE CLINTON & PARLIAMENT/ FUNKADELIC,CHAKA KHAN,STING,ICE CUBE,BAD BRAINS, Bjork, MICK JAGGER,FISHBONE and so many others.
My favorite jams of yours are on your solo album and the music you did with Weapon of Choice.Will you be releasing any new solo material anytime soon?

Ah'reek: yeah man...I'm recording a new disc right now...one thing I've freakuently heard in regards to my own albums (dats right, I said 'albums'!) is that there isn't enough 'guitarik' in the mix...well this new one should shut 'em up! (ha ha ..jk y'all)


T76: Hahaha...I can't wait to get that.Can you tell us about The Green Machine project?
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenmachinemusic

Ah'reek: for a while recently I was really diggin' this heavy metal tribute band here in Hollywood called Metal Skool (kinda like a live version of Spinal Tap for the Eighties hair metal scene)...
I noticed that there were tribute bands in L.A. for pretty much any classic rock band you could think of: The Doors, The Stones, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Zep, etc. and I thought how wack it is that there are NO tribute bands paying homage to the soul/funk groups I love...so I said 'funk it! AL do it myself!' so basically The Green Machine is a tribute to the musical greenius of a brutha named Al.


T76: That's awesome and the live footage on youtube is crazy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3ovLeITpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8e9BsLREc

Are you thinking of releasing a dvd of one of the shows or a cd?

Ah'reek: thanks...I prolly should huh? yeah...okay...AL do it!


T76: Yeah do it! The world needs this music.So you're living in the UK now.What musical projects are you working on currently?

Ah'reek: well I'm currently back in Hell A. I was working with the cats from The Prodigy over in London...I'll be going back soon..


T76: Do you feel like people in the UK appreciate REAL music more than people in the US?
What is the advantage of a musician working in the UK?

Ah'reek: I think Europeans in general are maybe a bit more loyal to the artists' they're into...like they'll come up to you and remind you of something you played on that YOU had forgotten...but most Americans are too preoccupied with superficial nonsense anyway...in my opinion...the advantages? uh...I can go to the BBC studios and stock up on vintage Benny Hill tapes!

T76: You and your brother Meganut are not only two of the most soulful and creative musicians around but two of the funniest in my opinion.Did artists like Blowfly and Zappa influence you? What about comedy records, comic books or movies?

Ah'reek: you think we're funny? what the hell is that supposed to mean?! you mean we're funny like how? like we're clowns here to amuse you?! ha ha...naw, we're good fellas! yeah man, Richard Pryor, Benny Hill, our pops was funny as hell,Muhammad Ali,the bruthas in the neighborhood, Marvel Comics, Mad Magazine...and I've noticed that the funniest comedians seem to be either black or Jewish: the Three Stooges, the Marx Brothers,Mel Brooks, Rodney Dangerfield, Woody Allen, Andrew Dice Clay, Seinfield (well...a lot of people thought he was funny), and ya know Richard,Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Redd Foxx, Franklin Ajaye (one of my favorites and really underrated),Chris Rock..etc. so me and Lonnie got a double-whammy of funny bone power!

T76: LOL...Cool! But I meant it more in a "Slim & Slam" kind of way where they were not only creative and super-groovy but they had they're own language that was funny as hell too.

I love your MarshalLaw cd too.Was that project the first band you were in?

Ah'reek: thanks man...naw..actually I put my first band together with my three best friends in junior high school; two of 'em were twins from Nicaraugua named Yadder & Yonell, and the other was a brother named Clinton...we were called The Minors and we played a few originals and Stray Cats covers...I used to LOVE Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats!


T76: Out of all the artists that you've been blessed to play with, who was your favorite?

Ah'reek: gotta be the P!

T76: Can you name a few records that influenced you the most?

Ah'reek: 'Go For Your Guns' by The Isley Brothers (you got that one man? that shit iz DOPE!) 'Axis:Bold As Love' ,'Mothership Connection' and 'One Nation Under A Groove', 'Built For Speed' by the Stray Cats (I know that doesn't sound too cool coming after them other soulfunkrock classics but it's true...that album really made me want to be a guitar player in a band) 'Survival' by Bob Marley, 'Purple Rain' ,'Van Halen 1' ,'Off The Wall' (Michael's dopest album in my opinion), 'I Against I' by The Bad Brains, 'Kind Of Blue', the soundtrack to the movie 'Superfly' by Curtis Mayfield and the Sly & The Partridge Family Stone album...


T76: All great stuff that I own too.I like the Stray Cats but I've never had any of their records.That stoned Partridge family album sounds like it's probably pretty psychedelic and what-not LOL

I love the poem you recited in the video called "They used to cook soul food" and I know exactly what you mean.Why do you think people "forgot the recipe" for making good music?

Ah'reek: too much technology, greed and ego

T76: No doubt...speaking of technology.I like this quote of yours:
"i can't wait 'til advances in technology allow me to return to a time when technology wasn't so advanced".That's so true

When was the last time you were excited about a new album's release?


Ah'reek: uh...hmm...um..damn...this is depressing...uh..I guess I'd have to say Moloko's last cd 'Statues' (they're the shit btw)


T76: Are there any recent bands/artists that motivate you when you write songs or improvise?

Ah'reek: see previous answer! and Weapon Of Choice, Mark Cross and Fishbone too

T76: Are there any new artists you'd like to work with?

Ah'reek: well since I've already worked with Moloko I would say...let's see...I KNOW there are some FBI's out there somewhere making some new music so I would say them!
(Full Blooded Indian's...of the American variety...NDN power...MY American Idol!)


T76: Cool answer.
Who are a few of your favorite guitarists?

Ah'reek: Jimi (like I really even needed to say that), Albert King, Django Reinhardt, Michael 'Kidd Funkadelic' Hampton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Curtis Mayfield,Ernie Isley, Eddie Van Halen, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, Phelps 'Catfish' Collins, Carlos Santana, Prince, Steven Hufstetter, Teenie Hodges,Wes Montgomery,Jimmy Nolen,Charo and my nephew Malik..

T76: What is your weapon of choice guitar-wise?

Ah'reek: it's a historic romantic notion for the guitar player to think of his axe as his woman...lets just say I've yet to wrap my arms around my soul-mate in either department...I've got a Gibson Firebird right now...but she aint the ONE...


T76: That Firebird of yours is sweet though!
What do you do to sit back & relax when you're not thinking of music?


Ah'reek: read a good book, watch a good movie or interesting documentary, go to the beach and meditate to the soundwaves from the sound of the waves,draw,work out at my boxing gym...stuff like that...


T76: What do you predict will happen to the music industry in the next 5 years?

Ah'reek: man I don't know what's gonna happen to MY crazy ass in the next 5 days let alone the music sindustry!
Smiley
I really don't know (and don't care if it stays as it is or gets any worse...wait..gets any worse? that's impossible!)...I just hope that it improves for the sake of the art and the artists' who create it...if I really think about the state of 'popular' music it'll make me too sad and mad...I mean there are way worse things going on in the world today so I can understand when people say 'aw quit your bitchin' when a musician complains about the sindustry, but...when musicians are encouraged, assisted and allowed to express themselves in a pure and untampered with way...they can (and have) change the world to some degree by touching peoples' hearts and minds on a deep and beautiful level...by being totally natural some artists' can connect with the supernatural...I guess some of the drugs that a lot of the greats took wouldn't be considered 'natural' but I think a big part of the reason they took 'em was to open themselves up to the ultimate creative source...you can call it whatever you want...to me it's God...for better or worse I've never had to use drugs to access my creativity (not comparing myself to the greats, just rappin' 'bout drugs) I smoked herb a few times as a teenager but that's it...a little red wine and i'm fine..but the bottom line is money man...the music sindustry is all about the dough and not the do-re-mi...

T76: Are you going to be recording or gigging with any other artists in the next few months?

Ah'reek: well in addition to finishing my new stuff I just booked a gig for the 28th of August at a spot in Santa Monica CA. it's gonna be a new project I put together that will include my brother Lonnie...it's called 'We'll Be White Black!' and it's a musical celebration of being mulatto! everyone in the band is a zebra! and like we'll open up with The Isley Brothers' 'Fight The Power' and then go into 'Rio' by Duran Duran...then well rock 'Mary Jane' by Rick James right before playing 'Jessie's Girl' by Rick Springfield! It's gonna be crazy fun...AND The Green Machine will be the opening act! oh yeah...dig this cool shit...I'll be writing and recording with the Foxy Mama herself: Pam Grier! she sings as well as acts and is gonna be making an album soon. I'm gonna jam with Pam...damn!

T76: Man, what a blessing that is. What would you like to do with your musical gifts that you haven't tried already?

Ah'reek: win the heart of my future wife

T76: I saw Meganut in one of the recent Chili Peppers videos and he was also in Stomp the Yard a few months back.Have you ever acted in a show or movie?
If not, do you ever want to try it?

Ah'reek: I actually acted in and wrote the soundtrack to a movie that won an Oscar! it was an independent flick by this USC film student...it was called 'Peace & Quiet' and I played a mulatto punk-rocker who destroys this old guys suburban home...right in front of him! I wore a Mohawk and a Funkadelic t-shirt...

T76: Wicked, I gotta look for that.
What moves you more: Music, art, movies or literature?

Ah'reek: when music is righteous nothing moves me more....sex comes (no pun intended) close...but I've always felt that 'real' music (aint that a bitch? we now have to make THAT distinction! wtf!) connects more powerfully with humans than any of the arts...

T76: Yeah.It makes me feel like I'm 100 years old when I talk to people and always have to say "real" music vs "Top 40 music a.k.a burger king commercial music".

I really dig your lyrics as much as your playing.Do you write often?

Ah'reek: yeah...I think I'm just as much a poet/writer as I am a musician/asshole..(ha ha) waking up at three in the morning with an idea in my head then staying awake til the sun comes up writing and re-writing til it's finished...yeah...I love putting words together in groovy ways...

T76: It would be cool if you released a book of your cool poetry.Any chance of that happening? (:>)

Ah'reek: it's funny you ask that...as a matter of fact...if it weren't for this damn innerview I'D BE WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW! (ha ha..jus clownin' m'man) yeah...I'm almost finished with it...my sister Adrianna 'Earthy Girl' Marshall is my editor and assistant (I gotta plug her DOPE re-usable tote bags you can cop on cafepress.com...just type in her name and watch out!) http://www.cafepress.com/agirlscreation ...it'll be available at first on cafe press...then perhaps someone will actually publish it..

T76: Thanks so much for your time and all the great music you share with us bro.

Ah'reek: my pleasure m'man...and btw...the cat who's been asking these questions aint just some music lover...he's a music maker too...and he's a bad mutha---shut yo mouf! I'm jus talkin' 'bout Taki76! then we can dig it! DEAF TO THE SONIC MIRAGE! !PARTY THE IN BACK ART THE PUT


Check out Ah'reek on myspace
http://myspace.com/arikthefreak

Comentarios